Rats are an all round nuisance here in the Cape and surrounding areas. Brown Rats (Rattus norvegicus) as well as Black Rats (Rattus rattus) are constantly on the prowl looking for food. Larger Rodents such as Rats scavenge through your trash, wreak havoc in the sewer systems and can even cause loss of stock and electrical fires. An out of control Rat problem could end up costing you a pretty penny in damages. So, exactly how do you stop rats from coming in to your house?
Modern day living here in Cape Town has become so fast paced that good storage and stacking practices are no longer followed. Correct waste disposal has gone out the window and municipal facilities are incorrectly managed. Its for these reasons we have created this list that will help you stop rats from coming into your house.
Here is how to stop rodents for good!
1) Make sure your gutters and down pipes are blocked off. Rats commonly use down pipes to gain access into your ceiling. Your ceiling space is usually warm and cozy enough for them to stay in during colder winter times. You can use chicken wire to block the tops off. This will still allow smaller pieces of debris and water to flow through freely while stopping Rodents from coming up and gaining access to your ceiling.
2) Fit your wooden doors with kick plates. Metal kick plates are the way to go in you want to ensure Rodents stay out for good. Rodents have this innate ability to chew through anything wooden. If an adult Rat wants to get access to your house a simple wooden door wont stop him.
3) Get a tree feller to trim over hanging trees. Black Rats are one of the most common species of Rats found here in Cape Town. They are smaller and more agile than Brown / Norway Rats. This means they love to use trees and especially creepers to gain access into your home. Make sure you garden if kept clean and trees trimmed. This will help to deter all sorts of creepy crawlies from gaining access.
4) Only feed your pets during scheduled times. Dog and cat food is a common treat for Rodents. You want to make sure they have as little access to an alternative food source as possible. The less food there is available the less likely they will stick around and set up shop in your home or garden.
Tips on how do you stop rats from coming in to your house is more complex than just placing barriers!
5) Clear building and garden rubble from your house. By removing potential nesting material and harbourage you limit the potential living quarters for rodents. If you remove enough factors that influence a Rodent infestation, you are less likely to have a Rodent issue in months to come.
6) Block off unused plumbing holes. Unused drainage pipes, holes in your wall where plumbing used to be as well as open sewer hatches are all potentially crawling with Rats. Make sure the general maintenance around your home is up to date and done correctly. This will stop drain dwelling vermin from coming near hour home.
Use the help of Rodent professionals in Cape Town.
Keeping your home clean and clear of Rodents could be a daunting task. In most cases its best left to the professionals. With a fresh set of eyes we can identify key areas that are important in the struggle of “How do you stop rats from coming in to your house?”
Feel free to give us a call. Let our seasoned professionals take care of your Rat problems with a tailored and holistic approach that’s safer and Eco-friendly. We always keep the delicate balance of our environment in mind while structuring treatments. Give us a call and have a seasoned professional provide for with a free and no obligation quotation.